Continental Structural Plastics ("CSP") is a solutions-oriented manufacturer of highly engineered composites used in automotive and industrial end-products. Founded in 1919, CSP is headquartered in Auburn Hills, MI where it houses a world class R&D operation. CSP employs over 2,500 in its fourteen manufacturing plants in Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Louisiana, North Carolina, Mexico, France and China (JV). CSP is a leading supplier of engineered thermoplastic and thermoset components that are often used to displace metal components in a variety of applications. CSP works closely with its customers on application development in order to deliver cost savings, weight reduction, parts consolidation and other benefits from the use of CSP's composite solutions.
Scott Capital purchased CSP in September 2005 and has completed the following initiatives since its ownership:
- Consolidated industry through purchases of two large competitors and multiple plants
- Acquired Thyssen Krupp’s Budd Plastic operation (2007)
- Acquired Huntington, IN plant (2009)
- Acquired Magna International composite operation, including five manufacturing plants (2014)
- Increased customer penetration through R&D strategies and application development
- Established carbon fiber operation in France (2013)
- Formed joint venture partnership in China (2015)
- Reduced costs through facility rationalizations, increased utilization rates, and improved logistics
- Re-engineered and revitalized existing product line
- Increased market share during an economic downturn
- Improved capital structure
Through these initiatives CSP has grown annual revenues from $70 million to over $550 million. In January 2017, CSP was acquired by Teijin for $825 million.